Angry Letters from Paradise

"If you will not fight for the right, when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." --Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Blog Sandwich

I kinda have three things that I wanted to talk about today. Two are really cool and/or important. The other is just something that I just realised today. So, because I don't want to diminish the importance of the two good bits, I'm going to sandwich them around the realisation and call it a blog sandwich.
Bit #1
A few days ago, the news in NZ was kinda sad. Robert, the elder brother of Norm Hewitt, former rugby player and winner of Dancing With the Stars, here in NZ, went missing after a dive. His diving partner was feeling ill, and went topside. Robert decided to go down by himself again, and that was the last they saw of him. He left behind a partner, and three children, the youngest being only six years old. I felt so sorry for the family.

Today the search team went out again to see if they could find his body, and they did...and he was still alive! After 76 hours alone at sea he was still alive; sunburnt and slightly delirious, since a bit of rainwater was all he'd had in that time, but alive! The joy of his family was so beautiful. I'd empathised with their pain, and now I wept with them for joy. What a heroic effort on Robert Hewitt's part, what strength of character and love he must possess to work so hard to live. How loved his partner must feel. Through all that pain it was love that got him through. Hate couldn't have done it. Fear wouldn't last that long. No, only love was strong enough to keep a man alive alone in the water for three days. Love, and Navy training.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10367503

Bit #2
My son came over today to borrow my washing machine, as usual. I was on the computer, as usual. He wanted something from me so he gave me this grin. I said, "Boy, don't try that look on me. I invented that look!"
He lowered his very stylish shades and raised an eyebrow at me, "But I perfected it, Mother."
It was then, looking at him that I realised, that my son was that really handsome, really cool guy that I always was attracted to back when I was his age. My son...is a stud. He's the hip bartender in the coolest bar in the coolest part of town. He dresses well, he styles his hair ffs! And he's funny enough that the guys all like him even while their girlfriends are drooling over him. So I'll tell you a secret. That cool, drop-dead gorgeous guy that you've been eyeing and wondering about? He's probably a pretty nice guy and not as intimidating as you'd expect. I know. I reared one of 'em. I only wish I'd known this when I was 20.

Bit #3
This is the best bit. Today, Australian Scientists (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron, but read on...they exist) announced that they've found a cure for Rheumatoid Arthritis! Fuck me ragged, is that some news or what? Not only does it stop the shit from advancing, it reverses the damage! This is like freaking miracle stuff and if I hadn't seen it on the news, I wouldn't believe it. Now, the halo around this is brilliant because it will also work with MS and Psoriasis! Like 2% of the population, I have psoriasis. It's a pain in the ass, especially since I'm kinda vain, and always had perfect skin until a few years ago. I recently discovered my own cure for it, but my cure won't help with psoriac arthritis and this Aussie medicine will. And get this...it works immediately. You can see the swelling go away. If this turns out to be like the water powered engine, or some other bullshit, I'm going to Australia, and pounding the living shit out of everyone who reported it. On the other hand, if it's real...it's awesome news for a lot of people!
ttp://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=85800

That's my sandwich. I hope you're sated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home